Courier is on the hunt for an experienced writer and editor to oversee the editorial quality and direction of our growing Workshop vertical, across our website, print magazine, special-edition guides, books and email newsletters.
The Workshop Editor will brainstorm, write, edit and also commission staff and external writers to deliver accessible, educational and useful stories of modern business – everything from how-to guides and step-by-step advice to in-depth case studies. Workshop's goal is to give our readers the practical tools they need to improve the way they run their businesses.
Typical Workshop stories can include topics like:
• How to develop your brand's tone of voice.
• What to do when a competitor copies your product.
• Five things you learn when you get hacked.
• Everything you need to know about hiring freelancers.
The Workshop Editor will also work with Courier's product team to brainstorm and execute on fresh and creative ideas to evolve the vertical, from new formats to emerging platforms.
The role sits within the Editorial team and reports directly into the Managing Editor.
• Manage writers that sit under the Workshop vertical.
• Be responsible for all content across the Workshop vertical.
• Write stories, edit others' work and commission writers.
• Develop ideas and deliver accessible, practical and educational content to inspire or teach business founders or people who want to run their own business.
• Maintain and grow a strong network of influential business leaders, subject-matter experts and thought leaders to tap into for practical articles.
• Manage an editorial production budget.
• Work closely with our designers to develop clever and innovative storytelling formats for both print and online.
• 3-4 years experience in business journalism or an equivalent role.
• Management experience (preferred, but not required).
• Curiosity and knowledge of the biggest issues, challenges and opportunities (as well as those under the radar) that business founders need to be aware of now and in the near future.
• Proven experience of turning complex business jargon into clear, accessible language.
• A self-starting personality and an eagerness to roll up your sleeves to get things done.
• A healthy dose of skepticism and the ability to distinguish facts from hype.
• Excellent written English and spoken communication skills.
• Adaptability, a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast-growing media company.
Send your CV along with a letter explaining why you’re the right person for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Workshop Editor” in the subject. You must have a right to live and work in the UK to apply.
Courier is the defining media brand for a new generation who want to live and work on their own terms. We've been telling insightful and inspiring stories of modern business through print, digital, events and more since launching in 2013. London-based but with an international perspective, our mission is to help you work better, live smarter, be happier.
Courier is an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.