Courier is on the hunt for a full-time researcher and writer to help grow our Courier Workshop vertical.
Workshop is the beating heart of Courier, jam-packed with accessible, educational and useful stories of modern business – everything from how-to guides on coming up with a brand’s tone of voice to case studies on what to do when someone copies your product. Workshop’s goal is to give our readers the practical tools they need to improve the way they run their business.
As a researcher and writer, you’ll work closely with Workshop’s senior editor to brainstorm, research and write compelling features and develop fun, engaging and inventive ways to bring those features to life – in both print and digital channels. You’ll also help build out Workshop’s online library of ‘how-to’ guides that show small business owners how they can practically apply key business topics to grow.
This is an exciting role for someone with an interest in, and excellent knowledge of, the nuts and bolts of how small businesses operate – and is keen to help build the essential small business resource.
• Brainstorm, pitch, research and write stories for Courier Workshop’s print and digital channels.
• Research and help compile authoritative, in-depth guides on a range of topics essential to running – and growing – a small business.
• Keep a close eye on innovative and original ways that small businesses are solving problems – with a focus on drawing out practical lessons that others can take.
• Have a strong awareness of emerging trends and leading thinkers in the ways people are improving the way they work: from leadership to productivity.
• Help grow the quality, audience and vision of the Courier Workshop vertical.
• 3+ years’ business writing or other relevant experience.
• A strong sense of what makes an interesting Courier Workshop story (plus ideas to hit the ground running).
• A passion for keeping on top of new brands and trends across sectors relevant to the Courier audience.
• Superb organisational skills and the ability to balance multiple tasks and projects, while working to deadline.
• A self-starting personality and an eagerness to roll up your sleeves to get things done.
• Experience conducting interviews, identifying sources and fact-checking.
• Ability to write engaging, accessible copy without resorting to jargon.
• Adaptability and patience to deal with the Workshop editor’s relentless jokes.
• Your CV
• A cover letter explaining why you’re the right person for the role (350 words max)
• Examples of relevant business writing experience
• 5 one-liner story ideas for Workshop you’d pitch on your first day
to email@example.com. Please include the words ‘Workshop’ in the subject. London-based candidates only.
Courier is the defining media brand for a new generation who want to live and work on their own terms. We’ve been telling insightful and inspiring stories of modern business through print, podcasts, events and more since launching in 2013. London-based but with an international perspective, our mission is to help you work better, live smarter, be happier.
Courier is an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.