Welcome to Courier Media, a media brand focused on startup culture and modern business. Please read these terms and conditions carefully as they represent a legal agreement between you and us.
These Terms were last updated on July 13, 2020.
1. About Us
Courier Media is operated by Courier Holdings Ltd (“Courier” “us” “we” or “our”). We are registered in England and Wales and have our registered office at 211 Hackney Road, London, E2, 8NA. Courier is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Rocket Science Group LLC d/b/a Mailchimp. You can learn more about Mailchimp here.
How to contact us. If you have any questions about these Terms or our Services in general, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How we may contact you. If we have to contact you we will do so by telephone or by writing to you at the email address or postal address you provided to us.
”Writing” includes emails. When we use the words “writing” or “written” in these Terms, this includes emails.
2. Our Terms
These terms and conditions (“Terms“) apply to your use of our website couriermedia.com (our “Site”) and the content and services offered on our Site below, whether they are goods, services, or print or digital content (all together, the “Services,“ as described more fully in section 3 below). The Site is for your personal use only in accordance with these Terms. You cannot use it for any commercial purposes. By using our Services, you confirm you have read these Terms and agree to be bound by them. The Terms also refer to the following additional notices, which apply to your use of our Services:
- Our Cookie Statement, which sets out information about the cookies on our Site.
We intend to rely on these Terms and, if applicable, your order. If you have any questions please make sure to send them to us in writing. This can help avoid any problems about what you expect from us and what we expect from you. If you do not agree with these Terms, you should not use the Site, our Services, or place any orders.
3. Description of our Offerings and Services
Courier provides you with a variety of Services which include, but are not limited to, granting you access to:
- ON-SITE CONTENT. Stories, photography, films, podcasts, social posts, and other digital media. This content may be provided by third-party providers.
- EMAIL NEWSLETTERS. News updates and information pertaining to our editorial interests and company activities, Products, and Services. This also may include marketing communications sent via email related to our on-site content, events, and/or store.
- A gathering or get-together hosted, attended or organised by Courier, including tickets to such events.
- Content and articles both in hard copies and accessible online (“Publications“). Through the Site you may place orders for Publications for a minimum period of time (“Subscription“). All Subscriptions run for an initial fixed period of 12 months (“Original Subscription Period“) during which you will receive your chosen Publication every other month.
- Single copies of Publications and associated products such as books, calendars or other similar goods (“Products“) that may be ordered on the Site or otherwise from Courier.
4. Accounts Registration and Security
You do not have to register to access some areas of our Site. However, registration may be required to receive online newsletters and to purchase Products and Subscriptions.
To register, you will need to create login credentials by providing an email address to us and by selecting a username and password. You also provide us certain information during the registration process, which you agree to keep accurate and updated. Each login is for a single user only.
You are not allowed to share or disclose your login credentials with any other user or person. We may terminate or suspend your access to the Services if you share your credentials. Any personal information provided during registration will be handled in accordance with our Privacy Notice.
You are responsible for all usage and activity on your account, including use of the account by any third party authorized by you to use your login credentials, and for all charges for any goods or services. You are also responsible for all statements made or materials posted under your account, including liability for harm caused by such statements or materials.
You must be 18 years or older to order Products or Subscriptions or, if you are under 18 years old, your parent’s or guardian’s must have consented to entering into these Terms.
Any fraudulent, abusive, or otherwise illegal activity may be grounds for termination of your account, at our sole discretion, and we may refer you to appropriate law enforcement agencies.
5. Subscriptions and Product Purchases
When you purchase a Subscription or Product offered through our Site we may ask you to provide your name, mailing address, email address, and credit card or other payment information for the purposes of fulfilling your order. Any personal information provided, including payment information, will be handled in accordance with our Privacy Notice.
We may make minor changes to our Subscription models and Products to reflect changes in relevant laws and regulations, to implement minor adjustments or improvements, provided that such changes do not affect your use of the Subscription or Product.
The price of the Products and Subscriptions includes VAT and will be the price indicated on the order page when you placed your order. We take all reasonable care to ensure that the price of the Products and Subscriptions indicated to you is correct. If the Product and/or Subscription’s correct price at your order date is higher than the price stated to you, we will contact you for your instructions before we accept your order.
After the end of the Original Subscription Period, we reserve the right to change the amount we charge for Subscriptions. In such an event, we will notify you in advance, and give you an opportunity to continue or discontinue your Subscription. More information about any such Subscriptions can be found on the Site.
Our order process allows you to check and amend any errors before submitting your order to us. Please check the order carefully before confirming it. You are responsible for ensuring that your order is complete and accurate.
We will take your payment for Products and the Original Subscription Period upon your placement of your order. For Subscriptions beyond the Original Subscription Period, we will take your payment at the start of the renewed Subscription period.
Our acceptance of your order will take place when we send a confirmation email, at which point a contract will come into existence between you and us.
If we are unable to accept your order, we will inform you of this and will not charge you or refund you for the Product or Subscription. This might be because the Product or Subscription is out of stock or because of unexpected limits on our resources which we could not reasonably plan for.
The cost of delivery will be as displayed to you on our Site. Delivery of Products, Publications, and Subscriptions is as follows:
- For Products, we will deliver them to you as soon as reasonably possible.
- For one-off digital content, we will make the Publication accessible or available for download as soon as we accept your order.
- For Subscriptions, we will continue supplying the Publication to you for the duration of the Original Subscription Period and until you terminate the contract after the Original Subscription Period.
If our supply of the Product is delayed by an event outside our control then we will contact you as soon as possible to let you know and will take steps to minimise the effect of the delay. As such, we will not be liable for delays, but if there is a substantial delay you may contact us to end the contract and receive a refund for any Products you have paid for but not received.
If, after a failed delivery to you, you do not re-arrange delivery or collect them from a delivery depot we will contact you for further instructions and may charge you for storage costs and any further delivery costs. If, despite our reasonable efforts, we are unable to contact you or re-arrange delivery or collection we may end the contract with you.
Exchanges and Refunds:
Cooling off period: If you have changed your mind or are not happy with your purchased Product or Subscription, you can cancel the contract within 14 days of receiving it, or within 14 days of entering into the Subscription contract (“Cooling Off Period”). In such case, please notify us in writing (within the Cooling Off Period) that you have changed your mind and return the Product the shortest possible timeframe (but in any case no later than 14 days after cancellation of the contract) along with your receipt. Returned items must be unused, in a saleable condition and include all original packaging. You will bear the costs of returning the Products to us. Please note that this cancellation right will not apply if you have chosen to waive the Cooling Off Period by accessing online – or downloading – our Publications through the Site during the Cooling Off Period
Faulty goods: If your Product is goods, we must deliver goods as described, fit for purpose, and of satisfactory quality. So if the Products are faulty or mis-described, please contact us with a photo of the Product and we will replace them. If we ask you to send these faulty Products back to us, we will pay for the costs of returning the Products.
Refunds: A refund may be available for Products purchased through the Site. Any refunds will be issued to your original payment method. Subject to the exceptions set out in these Terms, if you cancel your contract during the Cooling Off Period and return the Products within 14 days of cancellation, we will refund the price paid for the Product/Subscription. We may deduct from this price any enhanced delivery charges that you chose to purchase and make adjustments for the loss of any value of the Products supplied if the loss is due to unnecessary handling by you.
Subscriptions: Subscriptions are purchased for the Original Subscription Period and renew automatically after the end of the Original Subscription Period. Subscriptions may be terminated at any time by giving us a one month’s written notice before the end of the Original Subscription Period. Beyond the Cooling Off period, all Subscriptions are strictly non-refundable and not returnable during the Original Subscription Period.
6. Your Privacy
Please read our Privacy Notice and Cookie Statement for information regarding how we collect, use, and disclose personal information and protect your privacy when you visit our Site, use our Services, or Subscriptions. By using the Site and/or placing an order, you indicate that you understand the information collection, use, and disclosure practices described therein.
7. Third-Party Websites and Advertisers
Our Site may contain links to third-party websites. The inclusion of any link does not imply our endorsement, sponsorship, or recommendation of any other company, its websites, or its products and/or services, nor does it imply our acceptance of responsibility. We have no control over the content or privacy practices of such websites and therefore have no responsibility or liability for the manner in which the organisations that operate such linked websites may collect, use, disclose or otherwise treat your information.
We may change these Terms at any time by posting revised Terms on our Site. The new Terms will be effective immediately upon posting and apply to any continued or new use of the Site and the Services and order of Products or Subscriptions.
We reserve the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Services, the Products, the Subscriptions, or any related features (or any parts thereof). Every time you wish to use our Site and/or Services or place an order, please check these Terms to ensure that you understand the Terms that apply at that time. By using the Site and/or the Services or placing an order after we post any changes, you agree to those changes. If at any time you choose not to accept these Terms, please do not use the Site and/or Services or place an order with us.
9. Intellectual Property Rights
Any information or content, including but not limited to, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags, computer code, other materials, or other information presented to you via the Services or on the Site may be protected by intellectual property rights including but not limited to copyrights, designs, trademarks, service marks, patents or other proprietary rights and laws.
The Site and all Publications available to you via the Services are protected by copyright as collective works or compilation under the copyright laws of the United Kingdom and other countries. All individual articles, photographs, graphics, video, audio, and other content or elements comprising the Services are also copyrighted works. All copyrights in the Services are owned by us or by our third-party licensors to the extent permitted under applicable law.
All rights in the Product names, company names, trade names, logos, service marks, trade dress, slogans, Product packaging, and designs of the Services, whether or not appearing in large print or with the trademark symbol, belong exclusively to Courier and are protected from reproduction, imitation, dilution, or confusing or misleading uses under national and international trademark and copyright laws. The use or misuse of these trademarks or any materials, except as permitted herein, is expressly prohibited, and nothing stated or implied on the Services confers on you any license or right under any patent or trademark of Courier, its affiliates, or any third party.
Unless expressly authorized by Courier in writing, you are prohibited from publishing, reproducing, distributing, publishing, entering into a database, displaying, performing, modifying, creating derivative works, transmitting, or in any way exploiting any part of the Services, except that you may make use of the content for your own personal use as follows: you may make one machine readable copy and/or print copy that is limited to occasional articles of personal interest only. To obtain written consent to use a copyrighted work, please contact us at email@example.com.
10. Prohibited Conduct
You may not access or use, or attempt to access or use, our Site or the Services in any way that could harm us or any third party, interfere with the operation of the Services, or use the Services in a manner that violates any laws. For example, and without limitation, you may not: Make use of the contents of the Services in any manner that constitutes an infringement of our rights or the rights of other users or third parties, including copyright infringement.
- Access parts of the Services to which you are not authorized or attempt to circumvent any restrictions imposed on your use or access of the Services.
- Copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, enter into a database, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any part of the Services unless expressly authorized. You may download material from the Services solely for your own personal use as follows: you may make one machine readable copy and/or print copy that is limited to occasional articles of personal interest only.
- Distribute any part of the Services over any network, including a local area network, nor sell or offer it for sale. In addition, our content may not be used to construct any kind of database.
- Engage in unauthorized “scraping” or spidering, deep linking, framing or harvesting of personal information, or use any unauthorized automated means to compile information.
- Take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our network or infrastructure.
- Use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Services or any activity conducted on the Services.
- Use or attempt to use any engine, software, tool, agent, or other device or mechanism (including, without limitation, browsers, spiders, robots, avatars, or intelligent agents) to navigate or search the Services other than the search engine and search agents available on the Services and other than generally available third-party web browsers.
- Attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse-engineer (except as permitted under applicable law) any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of the Services.
- Engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Services.
- Take any action that violates or threatens our system or network security.
Breach of these Terms may result in civil or criminal liability. We may investigate violations of these Terms and we may also work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who breach the Terms.
11. Your right to cancel your contract with us
You can always end your contract with us. Your rights when you end the contract will depend on what you have bought, whether there is anything wrong with it, how we are performing, and when you decide to end the contract:
(a) If what you have bought is faulty or mis-described, you may have a legal right to end the contract (or to get the Product replaced or to get some or all of your money back) please refer to section 5.4;
(b) If you want to end the contract because of something we have done or have told you we are going to do (for example an error in the Product description or price, the Product is not available anymore or delivery will be significantly delayed). In this case, the contract will end immediately and we will refund you in full for any Products which have not been provided; or;
(c) If you have just changed your mind about the Product, see section 5.4. You may be able to get a refund if you are within the Cooling Off Period, but this may be subject to deductions and you will have to pay the costs of return of any goods.
How to end the contract with us (including if you have changed your mind).
Tell us you want to end the contract. To end the contract with us, please let us know by doing one of the following:
(a) Email. Contact customer services at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may ask you to provide your name, email address, home address, details of the order or your phone number.
(b) By post. Print off the form at the end of these Terms and post it to us at the address on the form. Or simply write to us at that address, including details of what you bought, when you ordered or received it and your name and address.
12. Our Right to Terminate or Suspend
We may end the contract or suspend the supply of a Product or Subscription to you at any time if:
- we choose to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, any part of the Services, Product, or Subscription as described above;
- you do not make any payment to us when it is due and you still do not make payment within 30 days of us reminding you that payment is due;
- you do not provide us with information that is necessary for us to provide the Products within a reasonable time of us asking for it, or do not allow us to deliver the Products to you within a reasonable time;
- we need to deal with technical problems, make minor technical changes or update the Product to reflect changes in relevant laws and regulatory requirements; or
- you engage in any conduct that is unlawful or prohibited (as described in Section 10 above).
13. Disclaimer of Warranties
To the maximum extent permitted by law, and except as expressly stated in these Terms, we exclude and do not provide warranties, conditions, or undertakings of any kind in relation to the Site. Our Site operates on an “as-is” basis. This means that we give no warranties in relation to its availability, accuracy, reliably, or appropriateness.
We do not warrant or guarantee that the Site will be always available, uninterrupted or error-free. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our SIte, there may be delays, omissions, interruptions, and inaccuracies in the content, information, or other materials available through the Site. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our Site for business and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
14. Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you
We are responsible to you for foreseeable loss and damage caused by us. If we fail to comply with these Terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breaking this contract or our failing to use reasonable care and skill. Loss or damage is foreseeable if either it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time the contract was made, both we and you knew it might happen, for example, if you discussed it with us during the sales process.
We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors; for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; for breach of your legal rights in relation to the Products, Subscriptions, and Services including the right to receive Products, Subscriptions, and Services which are: as described and match information we provided to you and any sample or model seen or examined by you; of satisfactory quality; fit for any particular purpose made known to us; supplied with reasonable skill and care and for defective Products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
We are not liable for business losses. We only supply the Products, Subscriptions, and Services for domestic and private use. If you use the Products, Subscriptions, and Services for any commercial, business or re-sale purpose we will have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
15. Your responsibility
You agree to be responsible for reimbursing us for:
- any losses, including legal fees and expenses, that directly or indirectly result from your violation of any applicable laws or regulations, and
- any losses, including legal fees and expenses, that directly or indirectly result from claims that you have infringed our intellectual property rights or breached Section 9 of these Terms.
16. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
These Terms, its subject matter and its formation, are governed by English law. You acknowledge and agree that any dispute related to these Terms or the Services will be decided by English courts and each party consents to personal jurisdiction in those courts.
If you live in Scotland you can bring legal proceedings in respect of these Terms or the Services in either the Scottish or the English courts. If you live in Northern Ireland you can bring legal proceedings in either the Northern Irish or the English courts. If you live elsewhere in the European Union, you can bring legal proceedings in the English courts or the courts of your country of residence.
17. Alternative dispute resolution
Alternative dispute resolution is a process where an independent body considers the facts of a dispute and seeks to resolve it, without you having to go to court. If you are not happy with how we have handled any complaint, you may want to submit any dispute for online resolution to the European Commission Online Dispute Resolution platform accessible at https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/index.cfm?event=main.home2.show&lng=EN
18. Other Important Terms
- Each of the paragraphs of these Terms operate separately. If any part of these Terms is held invalid or unenforceable, that portion shall be construed in a manner consistent with applicable law to reflect, as nearly as possible, the original intentions of the parties, and the remaining portions shall remain in full force and effect.
- This contract is between you and us. Nobody else has any rights under these Terms. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms.
- The section titles in these Terms are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
- You shall not transfer, assign or sublicense any of your rights or obligations under these Terms.
- Courier may transfer, assign, or sublicense any of our rights and obligations under these Terms to another organization, including a parent company, a subsidiary, affiliate, or successor thereof. We will always tell you if this happens and we will ensure that the transfer will not affect your rights under the contract.
- If we do not insist immediately that you do anything you are required to do under these Terms, or if we delay in taking steps against you in respect of your breaking this contract, that will not prevent us taking steps against you at a later date. For example, if you miss a payment and we do not chase you but we continue to provide the Products, Subscriptions, and Services we can still require you to make the payment at a later date.
Schedule 1: Model Cancellation Form
(Complete and return this form only if you wish to withdraw from the contract)
To Courier Media, 211 Hackney Road, London, E2, 8NA, United Kingdom email@example.com
I/We  hereby give notice that I/We  cancel my/our  contract of sale of the following goods /for the supply of the following service [*],
Ordered on /received on ,
Name of consumer(s),
Address of consumer(s),
Signature of consumer(s) (only if this form is notified on paper),
[*] Delete as appropriate